Wednesday 13 May 2015

Scrabble, Flora Day and positivity.

Once again I need to start this week with an apology. Last weeks post was a bit miserable and self indulgent, sorry about that. This week though I have got my positivity back and don't plan to let go of it anytime soon. In fact I have positivity in a head lock and if anything I am likely to throttle the poor thing. Maybe I need to treat it a bit gentler, coax and encourage it to stay with me rather than twist its arm behind its back. But either way this week is a good week and again I feel that I could rule the word (if I wanted to).

Speaking of which the election results are in and the Conservatives have a majority. In his first Cabinet meeting Cameron stated that
"This is a Government for working people".
Well that's me stuffed then (get back here positivity)!

I have been looking for work properly for nearly 2 weeks now and so far have applied for one job. I still really like the idea of being self employed but just don't know if I am brave enough (ruling the world is one thing but running my own business might be a step too far). Job search seems to take such a long time, scrolling through websites, reading job descriptions and trying to work out if I have the necessary skills and if I can blag it if I don't and then filling out the forms. When I do rule the world one of the first laws that I'm going to pass is that there will be one, and only one, application form, every employer will use it for every job. It will save applicants hours, if not days and will also save employers time in designing forms. I could call my party the Uni-form party, cos who doesn't love a uniform?

I had my first appointment at the Job Centre yesterday to see about claiming jobseekers allowance. The advisor I spoke to was very nice but I couldn't help feeling that I was sat on the wrong side of the desk. I go back to sign on a week tomorrow and really hope that I don't have to claim for too long.

On a brighter note it was Flora Day this week. My home town is Helston and Flora is a big thing for Helstonians. There are various dances through out the day the first and my favourite being at 7 am. The best part of the day for me is getting to the Guildhall just before seven and jostling in the crowd to get a view of the clock then watching the hands slowly move. As soon as it is 7am the church bell strikes the hour and then nearly immediately the big drum is struck and the band starts up. Its that moment between the bells chime and the drums boom that for me is special, it only lasts for about half of a second but always moves me to tears. In a previous post I wrote about a perfect moment sitting on the cliff with my dog well this is another one of those perfect times, in fact its more precious as it only lasts for a fraction of the time. A special moment filled with anticipation, excitement, possibility and potential. A moment filled with the scent of bluebells, lilly of the valley, pasties and spingo (spingo is a local beer and yes people start drinking and eating pasties at 7am on Flora day). A perfect moment.

Flora day is a day to welcome spring and summer and to chase away winter and darkness which was a bit ironic this year as it was freezing. I danced the childrens dance and the Hal-an-tow when I was younger and now watch the dancers with a bit of envy. Every year when I was at school I danced with a lad called Mark. Each year when everyone was planning who they were going to dance with there would be a knock on our front door at home. On the door step was Mark, he looked a bit like a rounder and redder faced Milky Bar kid and he would ask me and my parents if he could dance the Flora with me (his parents would be waiting at the bottom of the drive). From the age of 6 till about 13 we danced together. We never spoke to each other for the rest of the year, in fact I'm not sure that we even talked when we were dancing but like clock work each year he would turn up to ask me to dance. Looking back I marvel at the innocence but also wonder why we never spoke, we could have got on really well. However after the first 3 years of not talking I guess that that was our relationship set in stone until I heartlessly ditched him to take part in the Hal-an-tow instead (if you've not been to Flora Day google it, it's bound to be on youtube).

A few weeks ago a friend introduced me to on-line scrabble and I love it. I've had a few lucky games when I've been dealt  with brilliant letters and done well. I started to kid myself that I was good at it and was destined to be a scrabble champion who ruled the world. Then this week I had a game against my Mum when for 4 goes I had no vowels and I realised that I was only as good as the letters I was dealt with. I guess life is a bit like scrabble, when you have good letters you can achieve and be a winner but sometimes you get dealt a duff hand and need to rely on others to provide vowels in order to make any words, even low scoring ones.

So spring is here, scrabble rules and somewhere out there is a polite, quiet, reliable, middle aged man called Mark. I hope that he has found someone that he can both dance with and talk to.

No comments: