Wednesday 20 May 2015

Chelsea Flower Show, sorrel and unleavened bread.

A busy week this week. I've applied for 4 jobs now but not heard back from any of them yet. One of the jobs is a proper job and the others are ones that I think that I might like. For some reason I feel a bit more inspired about the non-proper/seasonal jobs than the proper career type one.

One of them is at a garden centre and I feel quite excited about this, probably due to an overdose of Chelsea Flower Show. Those that know me well will be surprised to hear about my interest in this job as I am definitely not a gardener. I like a nice garden but don't like getting my hands dirty and know nothing about plants. In fact until recently I thought that garden plants grew in muck or mud but have been reliably informed that they grow in soil and compost. 

I think  that instead of being a gardener I would in fact be more suited to hard landscaping as I love a nice wall, especially the dry stone variety. In a previous post I mentioned that I had walked Hadrian's Wall, now that's an impressive bit of stonework. Some people might be interested in the historical significance of it but for me its a beautiful, awe inspiring structure. I feel another perfect moment coming on.

 I remember one day whilst walking Hadrians wall, sitting up against the wall at lunchtime and looking out across an escarpment towards Scotland. The sky was the blue of a forget-me-not (please note the gardening reference there), there were fluffy clouds scudding across the sky, the curlews were swooping and I could feel the warmth of  the sun on my face and the warmth of the wall against my back.  It felt like we were on top of the world, masters of all we surveyed. A perfect moment and now a wonderful memory (at least until we stood up and realised that we had been sitting on a rabbits toilet and they hadn't even flushed). 

So anyway a bit of a tangent there but a busy week of job search. Which reminds me, a friend told me about a couple of websites that you could register on to be a freelance writer. It seemed genuine so I gave it a go. I filled out the online form, took the grammar and spelling test. Then I had to complete a timed writing task. For the first  I had to write a tourist piece about somewhere I had visited in 250 words, the second I had to give housing info about a town in 150 words. Its really hard to write succinctly and I realise how much I rabbit on in these blogs. The first website said it would get back to me in a couple of weeks and the other sent results the next day. I scored 75% and the reason they marked me down was because they said I didn't stick to the topic, they might just have had a point there. So I don't think that I'll be making a living that way.

A busy week cooking for me too. I've made 2 loaves of bread which have both gone straight in the bin. I can normally make bread OK but these were made with out of date yeast and it turns out that dried yeast doesn't work when it is 2 years past its sell by.

I mentioned previously that mum had been supplying me with veg but this supply has now dried up. The only thing she has that's pick able at the moment is from her herb garden, and the sorrel is doing particularly well. So this week I picked a load of sorrel and found a recipe to use it to make risotto. I don't really like sorrel but its free and I thought that at least it would help to ward off the scurvy that I'm at risk of since cancelling my organic veg box. The recipe said to use goat cheese and Parmesan.

Well I hate goats cheese, it tastes like goats smell. Its one of the few flavours I don't like. At the risk of starting an international incident another one  is Hershey chocolate which to me has a whiff of babies sick. Another is very ripe Camembert whose ammonia smell reminds me of stale nappies. So you get the idea; freshly baked bread, strawberries and coffee good; goats, babies sick and stale nappies bad.

I started making my risotto only to realise that I had left my Parmesan cheese in mums fridge. So instead of Parmesan and goats cheese I used cheddar. Maybe it was because I used the wrong cheese and maybe it was because I don't like sorrel but the risotto wasn't very nice, although it was a lovely vibrant green colour. Oh I miss my Riverford Box.

So a week of applying for work and cooking. I just hope that I am more successful in my job search than I have been in my cooking. Maybe then next year you'll be seeing me collect my gold medal at Chelsea and don't forget to look out for the sorrel risotto grouting that will be holding up my decorative wall, the stones of which may well resemble unleavened bread.

No comments: