Tuesday 13 October 2015

Strictly Come Dancing, Margaret Thatcher and sandals

"To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven" (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

This is one of my favourite Bible quotes and always seems appropriate at this rather melancholy time of the year as we start to move towards winter. Autumn is finally, definately here. I know that officially it started a few weeks ago but for me it has now undeniably arrived.

You might be wondering what has brought me to this realisation. What were the telltale signs that drew me to this conclusion? Maybe I should have realised sooner: the leaves changing colour and drifting to the ground like golden confetti; The Great British Bake Off ending (go Nadia!) and Strictly Come Dancing re-starting; the sloe gin is steeping so that it will be ready for Christmas; the mornings and evenings getting darker; Halloween goods appearing in the shops; going to a cafe and fancying hot chocolate instead of iced tea; getting a flu jab and buying some Lem-sip just in case; people firing up their central heating and lighting their log burners and the general drop in temperature should all have given me a clue. For me though the definite sign that summer is over is that I bought a pair of sandals.

The rest of the northern hemisphere is probably buying boots at this time of year but like the fashion magazines I always plan for a couple of seasons ahead. It's not that I am organised but rather that I am a cheapskate. I wait to buy my summer sandals for the following year till right at the end of the sale so that I know that the price isn't going to be reduced any further and that way bag myself a bargain. So ok this does mean that I occasionally have to jam my feet into shoes that are too small if they've sold out of my size and yes I am always wearing last years styles in some unusual colours but as I am not exactly a fashionista I don't care. So for me Spring starts when I buy next winters boots, summer begins when I get the following Easters pastel Mary-Janes and Autumn begins with the purchase of flip flops and sandals.

I've been thinking a bit about time passing and the cyclical nature of history recently. Not just because of my bargain sandals but because of the new job that I've just started. You see I've got a job back in the secondary school I attended when I was a teenager. It seems really strange to be back there, its familiar in many ways but also so different from how I remember. The basic structure of the building is the same and familiar, there have been some new additions and some of the rooms have moved around, but most of it is as I remember.

It's the people who have all changed. I walk around the corner of a corridor and expect to see my friends waiting to meet me after lessons, but there are strange young people there, kids waiting for their own mates. Teens wearing blazers and ties who look way smarter than we ever did. When we attended the school the uniform was much more lax and as long as you wore something vaguely blue you passed inspection. They also now seem so much more confident and assured than I ever felt, maybe this is down to bravado but I hope not. These pupils are noisy, enthusiastic and so full of potential and looking back I think that I was probably like that at their age too, what happened to that energy and passion I wonder.  I remember sneaking into the 6th form common room after lessons one day to put up CND and anti Reagan and Thatcher posters, convinced and passionate about my political beliefs. This year in contrast I had trouble deciding who to vote for in the General Election. So maybe it isn't the school that has changed, maybe it's me.

So Autumn is here, a time to reflect and take stock. A time to make soup and stews and buy t-shirts and sandals, a time to remember being young and to try and resurrect some of the passions I felt then, a time to put on wellies and walk through the woods kicking up leaves.

I started this post with a quote from the Bible and I'd like end it with another quote, not the Bible this time, but Elton John via The Lion King.

" From the day we arrive on the planet
And blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high
In the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round".

Autumn is here but I have sandals ready for next summer, thus the circle of life goes on.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you off to see the planet next year then? Sandals at the ready? Enjoyed this one. X

Worklesswendy said...

Thanks Jenny, have sandals will travel.

A. K. Shaw said...

This is a thoughtful excursion into what the changing of the seasons means to you and how it makes you feel. Like a few other authors here, yet in a way quite distinctly your own, you expertly employ the art and skill of sparking the imagination. The reader's imagination. My imagination. I always love a narrative that can so vividly transport me to a place I've never been to and inspire me to feel though it's a place I'm intimately familiar with (Adele Archer is also really good at doing this).

Looks like I just found a new blogger to follow and add to my growing list of excellent storytellers.

Thank you!

A. K. Shaw said...

This is a thoughtful excursion into what the changing of the seasons means to you and how it makes you feel. Like a few other authors here, yet in a way quite distinctly your own, you expertly employ the art and skill of sparking the imagination. The reader's imagination. My imagination. I always love a narrative that can so vividly transport me to a place I've never been to and inspire me to feel though it's a place I'm intimately familiar with (Adele Archer is also really good at doing this).

Looks like I just found a new blogger to follow and add to my growing list of excellent storytellers.

Thank you!

Worklesswendy said...

Thanks Alex, I could feel my head swelling as I read your comment. I too love Adeles blog so take it as a real compliment to be compared to her.

Unknown said...

Often your posts are really funny, this one though was gentle and lovely, like feeling the autumn sun itself :). And now I hear the Lion King song in my head :).

I spent half an hour yesterday going through the sale rails at our local George / ASDA, looking for decent summmer left overs. Sadly, nothing in my size, but a significant proportion of my wardrobe and footware is made up of end-of-season bargains :).

Worklesswendy said...

Thanks Mir. I love Autumn but it does feel a poignant time of the year.

Got to love a sale rail!

Repro Rights Underground said...

Hi, Wendy!

Love the symbolism you used (autumn standing in for middle age).

Great blog post, great blog!

Worklesswendy said...

Thanks Ebony for your kind comment.