Wednesday 10 June 2015

Shrimps, tenterhooks and cider.

Hi there and what a week! I am back in Cornwall and have had a busy old time. This week I have signed on with the job centre, been for a work trial, attended an interview, been a lady who lunches (twice), have had a haircut and a birthday.

I am writing this on tenterhooks as I am waiting to hear about the interview I attended. They said they'd call me this afternoon and its gone 1 o'clock already. I wonder what tenterhooks are and if I am really on them. Well that's interesting, thank you Mr Google (other search engines are available). Apparently tenterhooks were used to stretch wet fabric out so that it it could be fitted onto a frame called a tenter, in order to dry. Hence the phrase, being on tenterhooks, is used to mean that one feels in a state of uneasy suspense or anxiety. So yes, I am definitely on tenterhooks.

I had the interview first thing this morning and overall I think it went OK, although looking back there is at least one question that I could have answered better. However they did tell me that part of the job role had, for the last year, been done by an intern and I'm assuming that he/she applied for the job and I kind of hope that they get it, it's only fair after all.

But now the waiting begins. They said that they'd call this asfternoon however that could mean any time. It's now 1:30 and they might not call till 5:00. I'm already too nervous to move away from the phone to go the loo, in case I miss the call. I could take the phone with me into the bathroom of course but then what if they call mid flow? No better to wait it out, staring accusingly at my silent phone and dealing with the urine soaked sofa should the need arise.

The reason that I am so anxious about this interview, compared to some of the others I've attended, is that I really want this job. The other jobs I've applied to have mostly been either temporary/seasonal ones or part time and paying minimum wage. The interview I attended this morning though is for a more challenging and interesting role and I WANT IT! Yes I know " I want doesn't get" but I do want it, a lot.

I've also had a work trial at a local tourist attraction and had an enjoyable couple of hours handing out samples of cider to coach parties as they arrive. I thought at the end of the session that I had been offered a job but am waiting to hear for sure about this as well.

I had my birthday this week and had lots of nice presents and cards. My favourite gift was a shrimping net, I haven't had a chance to use it yet but can't wait to give it a go. I watched a cookery show the other day where they went shrimping, then cooked their catch up on the beach on a camping stove. It looked so lovely, I would like to replicate it. Of course I may not catch anything, but I hope to. I may even catch so many that I can sell them and eventually have a seafood business to rival Princes.

So another busy week (I don't know how I ever found time to work). I've tried out being a barmaid, cooked up the tastiest prawns (in my imagination), have discovered that I am no good at waiting and learnt that a watched phone, like a watched pot, never rings/boils.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I've only read this one blog post, but things DO get better, only sometimes it takes a while. I lost my job in the autumn of 2012 and that made me get off my a*** and try doing my own thing. It took a while, but I'm now self-employed while working full-time in an occupation I love.
http://snippetsofalessordinarylife.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://the-occasionally-disgruntled-expat.blogspot.co.uk/
And if you're interested in what I wrote after I lost my job in 2012, have a look here: http://angelasburke.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/getting-fired-from-your-job-should-you.html
Best of luck!

Worklesswendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Worklesswendy said...

Hi Angela, thanks for your comment and encouragement. I do keep thinking about self employment but it seems a scary and risky idea. I look forward to reading about your experiences. Wendy

M Ray Holloway Jr said...

Very good writing, ma'am. It is interesting and coherent and flows very well. You should take a stab at writing fiction if you are so inclined, but what you are doing is great. Keep Writing! Every chance you get, write; it only improves your work.
Now for the shameless self promotion: (haha) I have a blog about my personal experiences and my attempts at writing as well. Please check it out and let me know what you think. It is at mrayhollowayjr.blogspot.com

Richard Stevens said...

I enjoyed reading this very much and I hope you get the job. Mind you, I too don't know how I ever found time to work...but then again, luckily I don't have to now as I'm retired.

Worklesswendy said...

Thanks Ray, sorry for not replying sooner but I keep forgetting to check the comments. Your words are very encouraging so I will keep at it.
I look forward to checking out your work.

Worklesswendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Worklesswendy said...

Thanks Richard, you'll have to read this weeks post (due on wednesday) to find out if my application was successful.
I hope that you are enjoying your retirement.