Wednesday 24 June 2015

Cider, sweatshirts and cold tea.

I drove away from the Jobcentre the other day, after telling them that I was about to start work. The sun was shining, I was feeling relieved that I wouldn't have to go back to the job centre again for a while and pleased to have found work, even if it isn't exactly my dream job. So I opened the windows in the car, donned my sunglasses and switched the radio on, turning up the volume nice and loud. I swear the first lyrics that came on were,

🎵I was looking for a job.
Then I found a job,
and heaven knows I'm miserable now🎵

I really hoped that The Smiths, weren't prophetic!

I've now completed 2 days of my new job and am shattered so this will be a short post as I'm too tired to even type. My previous job was a desk job and although I often felt tired, as it could be stressful, this job brings with it a whole new level of fatigue. I am working in a local tourist attraction where they make and sell cider amongst other things. It is crazy busy and I am on my feet and dashing around the whole time.

So the highs and lows of my first couple of days

  • The first day I started work at 10 and didn't have my lunch break until 4 (that was one of the lows).
  • They have a petting zoo with the cutest baby pygmy goats which snore when they sleep.
  •  They provide a sweatshirt and T-shirt as a uniform but the first day there were no t-shirts available so I had to wear a sweatshirt all day (I now know how this item of clothing gets its name).
  • I sold a bottle of extra special spirit for a jaw dropping £135, only to find out it was a bottle of cold tea used for display purposes, the real spirit being kept securely out the back. Luckily I was able to catch the couple who bought it before they left the shop.
  • I now know more about cider and apple based drinks than I thought it was possible to know.
  • Surely this must help me to lose weight!
So reading back through this I realise that there are rather more lows than highs, however they are a lovely crowd of people that work there, all of the customers have been really pleasent, Billy dog has given me an ecstatic welcome back each evening and the job is close to home. 

All and all, not the most enjoyable two days of my life, but thankfully The Smiths were wrong and heaven knows I'm not miserable now, in fact I think I'm probably too tired to be miserable. Right I've got to go and wash my T-shirt so its ready for tomorrow and then this scrumpy maid is going to go to bed early. Night night all.


4 comments:

Suztam said...

I feel your pain! As I've just moved to North Wales, I had to give up my job in Scotland and have found myself, for the first time, having to visit the JobCentre. It's not a pleasant experience. I've managed to find myself a job quickly, luckily, providing home care, which is a million miles from anything I'm qualified for. Hope I have some interesting tales to tell from my first few days!

Worklesswendy said...

Good luck in your new job. I guess it good for us sometimes to do things outside our comfort zone (or at least that's what I keep telling myself!).

Keshvi Khambhati said...

I like ur posts..they are very connecting to real world!!!
My blog is
thinkingexplored.blogspot.com

Worklesswendy said...

Thanks Keshvi, I look forward to reading some of your posts.