Wednesday 17 June 2015

Good news/bad news, strawberries and soggy pants.

So nearly as exciting as "Who shot JR", is the question of whether I got the job that I was waiting to hear from last week. Some of you may have already heard but for those that haven't and who are waiting to hear with baited breath, the answer is.....

Pause to create dramatic tension........

As a matter of intetest I wonder where the term baited breath comes from? Well that's interesting, according to Wiktionary it should actually be bated breath and the first known usage was in Shakespeare. Bated is a shortened version of abated, which means to reduce or suppress. So to wait with bated breath is to breath shallowly due to tension or nerves.

I do think the origin of language is interesting, there are so many words and phrases that we use that if you think about it make no sense at all. For instance I wonder how many people know why we use the word " fortnight " to mean 2 weeks? Well apparently it dates back to Roman times and Hadrian's Wall (I know, I keep going on about Hadrian's Wall, but it's interesting). Roman soldiers used to patrol the wall and once every 2 weeks they were allowed to take it in turns to sleep in one of the forts along the walls length. Hence they had a night in the fort, or a fortnight. Maybe I should have been an Etymologist.

Which brings me back to jobs and whether I was offered the position I was hoping for last week. I do find that I am easily distracted, unlike Billy, my dog who is very focussed.

The other day Billy and I went for a lovely walk along a stream. I spied some wild strawberries and was crouching down to pick them, this meant that my pocket, which contained dog treats was at Billys nose height. Billy was so focussed on trying to get the treats out of my pocket that he didnt notice the young fox drinking from the rill near us. The vixen looked up and stood staring at me and I like to think we shared a little moment. We were only yards apart in a wooded glade, all that could be heard was the tinkling brook and bird song. The glade was lit by dapled sunlight and I had the taste of starwberries and summer in my mouth. Perfect. Billy was so focussed on food he didnt notice her and thats when things went wrong. In his frustration at not being fed, Billy jumped up at me and I lost my balance and sat back into a puddle. Perfect moment over, the fox had disappeared and I had to complete the walk with a wet bottom.

Anyway back to job news. There is good news and bad news. The bad news is that I didn't get the job that I would really have liked, boo hoo. But the good news is that I was offered a job yesterday, hurray! It's only a part time seasonal job, but its work and it might be fun. I start on monday and the job should last until the end of September when the search will start again.

I had thought that I would call time on this blog when I found work, but I have enjoyed writing it so will continue for a while. After all, although I am no longer workless, it is a part time job so I am still working less than before.

Another eventful week then that contained a job rejection, a job offer, a perfect moment with a fox and a very awkward moment a few seconds later when I met another dog walker and felt the need to explain my wet bum. I could see from the woman's eyes that she didn't believe, or even understand, my waffling tale of foxes, strawberries, dog treats or puddles, but I still couldn't shut up. Recognising when to stop, talking/writing a hard thing to get right.

1 comment:

Richard Stevens said...

A good week all round then