Wednesday 8 April 2015

Redundancy, chocolate and wigs for dogs.

So it's the start of week two and I'm still redundant, I feel vaguely surprised about this as if deep inside I thought that it might just go away of it's own accord. Maybe I thought it would just have cleared up like this head cold I am suffering from. But no, still unemployed.

Its four thirty in the morning and I can't sleep which to be honest is more to do with my cold than stressing about loosing my job. I hate this time of the morning. I always feel like I am the only person in the world who is awake which is nonsense when you consider different time zones, night workers, fellow insomniacs, later night revellers etc. In fact when you think about it the 4:30 am-ers aren't a very select bunch at all. Somehow though it does seem a lonely time of day and I envy those in the land of nod who are dreaming of being chased by bison whilst driving a Harley Davison and then helping serial killers to dispose of dead bodies in New York in exchange for ice-creams, which incidentally were all dreams my family had the day before yesterday. Maybe it's more restful to be awake than to experience dreams like these.

So what have I achieved in my first week of being unemployed and am I any closer to  getting a job? Well I've made granola (yum), started giving my dog a hair cut , so far I've trimmed his ears and tail, (thought that I'd start with his extremities and then work towards the middle). I've been for lots of walks with my family who were down in Cornwall for Easter, eaten my body weight in chocolate and I've thought a lot about business ideas and how to generate money, such as making and selling granola. It can become a bit obsessive though as when I looked at the pile of fur I'd cut off the dog I was thinking surely there's something I could do with this. I know that there is a market for human hair for wig making as a friend of mine ran out of money whilst travelling and sold her hair. I wonder if there is a similar need in the canine world. Surely there must be a demand for dog toupees for some poor bald, mangy mutt.

I've chosen all the walks we've done this weekend which have included Frenchmans Creek, Coverack to Beagle point via the Terence Coventry sculpture garden and Lizard to Cadgwith via Grade Church. All the walks went well and we didn't get lost (although Mum was not happy about getting her new boots muddy - walking boots mind not Oscar de la Renta so don't know what she was stressing about). This got me thinking about leading walks and tours for people as a business idea, I could plan a walk depending on peoples level of fitness and interests and tell them interesting  stuff  on the way about the areas we visit, some of it might even be true. I once spent 2 weeks travelling around New Zealand South Island with a friend and her half Maori boyfriend and he told us lots about Maori legends and tradition which were fascinating. It was only at the end of the second week that he admitted that he had made most of it up. Well I think that I could enjoy that, maybe telling visitors that saffron buns were originally used as a dowry payments when maidens were wed, that clotted cream was used to treat sunburn and that the legend of the Cornish Piskie was based on a now extinct population of tiny people who built and lived in the hedgerows.

I've also spent time thinking up names for my fictitious business'. My granola company would be Yumola Granola, dog wig firm would be Wendy's Waggy Wigs! And my walking tours Forget Poldark and Walk With Wendy. I've thought about catering opportunities such as Pound-lunch, where you can get lunch for a quid, Souper bowl, a sort of american themed soup kitchen and a dog grooming parlour called Give the Dog a Comb.

But most of my time this week has been spent being ill and eating chocolate. I'm sure that I read somewhere that 80% of the human body is made up of water, well I reckon that mine is 97% snot. I also wonder whether my trouble sleeping and my families weird and wonderful dreams have anything to do with the number of easter eggs we've consumed? Or is it just as the old Cornish folklore tells that during this time of year when the gorse is in full bloom then the scent of the flowers can have a hallucinatory affect. Yes I expect that that is it.

So a good week despite having a cold but no not really any nearer to finding work.

No comments: