Tuesday 12 January 2016

Greatness, mice and family

Visitors to Cornwall will be wondering what the strange noise is that they can hear, as everywhere you go there is a constant clicking sound. Puzzled they will be wondering if it is the noise of pebbles tapping together as they are stirred by the waves, or if it's the result of bladder wrack seaweed popping in the wind. I suspect that the RAC and the AA will have had lots more calls outs than normal from worried motorists who think that the unexplained tapping sound is coming from their cars. To those not in the know it sounds like a pair of little mice waltzing across a parquet floor whilst wearing high heel shoes. A quiet but puzzling rhythm.

Well let me reassure you that the clippety clip tap ting  is nothing to worry about and is, in fact caused by an innocent pastime. You see Cornwall is full of the sound of knitting needles and crochet hooks working overtime. The west of Cornwall and I'm sure various other specific locations across the country have gone knitting crazy, myself included. The other thing that you should probably know is that we are all knitting with white or pastel shades in the softest of wools.

What is going on?

Lets explore the evidence: myself and friends and family have suddenly taken up knitting white and pastel articles, in cloud soft wool. Some of the garments look small enough for the previously mentioned waltzing mice to wear. It can only mean one thing, there must be a baby on the way!

I am pleased to announce that I am due to become a Great Aunt! My niece and her husband informed us all at Christmas that they are pregnant and that the baby is due on my birthday. What a gift to get for my birthday,  a new baby in the family, lets hope it's born on time. Hence family and friends are busy making baby items, pretty blankets, little coats and miniature mittens and booties. There's something so lovely about making baby things, not only are they really cute but somehow it makes you feel like you are paving the way for the next generation, that you, in a way, have a stake in the future of the child. Billy dog however is less than impressed as when I'm knitting he's not allowed on my lap and so has taken up residence on the bean bag, from where he glares at me accusingly.

Those of you who have read the "About Me" paragraph of this blog will know that I have always wanted to excel at something, to be brilliant at just one thing. Well when my niece and nephew-in-law have their child I will automatically become a Great Aunt. I get to be Great at something and haven't even had to work at it or train for it. I'm so excited! I've loved being an Aunt to my niece and nephew and couldn't have wished for better young relatives to watch grow up, however I've only ever really been an average sort of Aunt. But this summer I get to be Great. Look out world I'm coming to get you, armed with greatness, knitting needles and a ball of kitten soft wool.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoop Whoop and Clickety click - Congratulations Great Auntie Wendy to be !!

And so good to know knitting is not a dying art!!!! Loving your blog xx

MadTrollie said...

congrats on being great....personally i'm great,great....but most probably a tad older then you

Elisha Searl said...

Congratulations Wendy! A Great Aunt how amazing! I have just became an Aunt after my brother and his partner had a baby. It's a lovely feeling. ASpoonFULLOfSugar x