Wednesday 15 July 2015

Mizzle, wellies and Mr Ed

All areas of the world have their own particular weather patterns and conditions: in Asia there is the rainy season, the south of France the mistral and here where we live we have the Cornish mizzle. Mizzle is somewhere between light rain and a drizzle and is often served with a side order of mist, reducing visibility to the exact distance it is possible to throw a wellington boot (underarm of course).

When you look out of the window everywhere seems to be washed in the muted tones of a water colour painting, but you can't see raindrops splashing in puddles so you convince yourself the weather isn't too bad and you venture out into it regardless. Once outside though you soon realise your mistake as within 20 paces you are soaked through to the skin and you start to wish that you had put the wellies on instead of throwing them to check visibility distance. Somehow mizzle gets you much wetter than proper rain, I think it's because rain falls vertically down from the sky towards the ground, basically getting the top of your head wet so you put your hood up and the problem is sorted and you're dry. Mizzle however has very fine water droplets that travel in all directions, up, down, horizontally, diagonally and in a zig zag motion. Even with an umbrella up and a coat on, with hood up, the water particles skirt the brollie and sneak in under the hem of your jacket and zip around inside your waterproof drenching you.

When it's mizzley sounds, as well as colours, seem to be muted, everywhere somehow seems hushed, as if the mizzle is a shroud that cloaks the world in a sombre, funereal mood. People scuttle around quietly with their heads reverently lowered. I always thought that this quiet atmosphere during mizzle was caused by the high humidity muffling sounds, however after 3 days of mizzle this week, I now know the truth of the quiet that accommpanies this weather condition.

The real reason that it's quiet in Cornwall when the mizzle descends is because everyone south of the Tamar (the river that divides Cornwall from Devon) goes to visit the cider farm where I am currently working. The rest of Cornwall may well be hushed and reverential but that's because the cider farm, and I'm sure other tourist attractions, are heaving, noisy and chaotic. The rest of cornwall is quiet because it is to all intents and purposes empty.

This week I have been working in the restaurant and it seems that every holiday maker in the area has wanted to eat there. We have literally been run off our feet. We have sold out of bread, potatoes, cheese and one day we even sold out of pasties. I worked for 6 hours solid without a minutes break or reprieve from the noise and clamour, some of my colleagues worked for even longer.

Despite the mizzle it's been really hot. As if it wasn't hot enough working in a busy kitchen and restaurant, when this restaurant is packed to the rafters with steaming visitors the temperature and humidity reached tropical rainforest levels. You've probably heard the saying

"Horses sweat, men perspire, whereas women merely glow".

Well I have been "glowing" profusely this week. Infact the closest thing to a break at work was when I had to keep dashing out of sight,to the pot wash area, to guzzle water and wipe myself down with kitchen paper so that I didn't drip "glow" onto the food I was serving. If I didn't know better I would consider changing my name to Mr Ed. By the end of each shift I have felt exhausted and aching all over. And all for minimum pay.

So Monday morning I'm getting ready for work with a sinking feeling in my belly and a very real sense of foreboding, as it was another mizzley day, and the phone rang. It was a call from an employer about a job I had attended an interview for a couple of weeks ago. I haven't mentioned this application in my blog as I didn't think that the interview and assessment had gone too well, so thought I didn't stand a chance and I didn't want to make more rejections public than I needed to. Well imagine my surprise then when the call on that mizzley Monday was a job offer! I was stunned, delighted, relieved and actually quite emotional. It's an interesting job, challenging, but which I think will suit me and is working for a worthy, charitable organisation. It is a fixed term contract for just over a year and a half and I will be working 3 days a week. My dream job.

Somehow from then on the depressing weather hasn't mattered, the hoards of pasty and cream tea gobbling crowds haven't phased me and my aching legs and back haven't bothered me. I am still frightened of the peacocks and chickens though (see last weeks post for an explanation to this).

I start my new jobs two weeks today and will work until the end of this week at the cider farm. What will happen to this blog I'm unsure of at the moment as it has been based around redundancy and jobsearch and Wendy is no longer workless, but I've got a fortnight to think about this. I'm very excited about my new job, but will still be a little sad to leave the farm, although I won't miss the peacocks, "glowing", chaos or poor pay. But onwards and upwards, when one door shuts a window opens, a rolling stone gathers no moss and as they say from the mouths of babes and infants mighty cider trees grow (or something like that).

8 comments:

Richard Stevens said...

I am pleased that you have found a new job Wendy, but do hope you continue to write your blog in some way. As I seem to remember writing that before this appointment, I hope you won't find yourself unexpectedly fighting animals again.

Tim Clark said...

Sometimes good news is even better than sunshine to improve your spirit. Good luck.

Worklesswendy said...

Thanks Richard, my new job is office based so I'm hoping the only animal I'll be dealing with is a computer mouse.

Worklesswendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Worklesswendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Worklesswendy said...

Absolutely Tim, its amazing what a difference one phone call can make to your week.
Sorry I had to delete my previous reply as there were so many typos in it !

Worklesswendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Worklesswendy said...

That must have been the day so many people from Southampton turned up at the cider farm. Mystery solved!